Saturday, October 10, 2009

Book Review: The Name of the Wind

Patrick Rothfuss - thank you.  You have renewed my faith in humanity.  You have proven that genius does in fact exist.

Flat out, this was the best book I've read in a very, very long time.  Since I have spent the last year or so focusing on myself, I haven't done a lot of reading.  But when things settled down and I completed my move to NY, I went book shopping for the first time.  I had never heard of it, despite it being a fantasy book on the NY Times Bestseller.  You'd think that wouldn't escape my attention.  Now, I wish I could go back and start on page 1 and have no idea what was coming...

They label this a fantasy book, but it is much more than that.  There are no trolls.  Or orcs.  Or giant battles.  It is a love story.  It is the life story of a man, a very interesting man, who we come to know as a child and watch grow over the course of twenty or so years.

I never make book recommendations.  Films are easy - it is an hour and a half, two hours.  You hate it, you can stop it.  But books are a commitment.  And I think much more personal than films.  But I cannot implore you enough - go out and buy this book.  Read it immediately.  Fall in love with reading and storytelling again.

And, like myself and all the others who have read this, wait anxiously for the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment