Thursday, April 29, 2010

Movie Review: Kick-Ass

Not exactly the movie of the year, Kick-Ass did do a good job of keeping me entertained.  However, most of the time I was just waiting for Hit Girl/Mindy to come back... and anytime Dave/Kick-Ass was onscreen I was wondering what she was doing at that moment.

Dave's story is mostly bland and boring.  Aaron Johnson is okay, he wasn't annoying by any means.  He just didn't have the meatiest role in this pic.  Kid wants to be superhero, he tries, gets his ass-kicked.  Complete with the - 'girl who never knew I existed now wants to be best friends with me because she thinks I'm gay' story-line.  At no point does it seem like his character is gay.  And she makes this leap of logic because he was mugged and may have had his clothes off.  There are a lot of parts of this movie that don't add up to its sum, and that is but one of them.

Mark Strong turns in a good performance as the bad guy, but he isn't really given much to work with.  McLovin disappoints in what could have been a funnier performance.  I'm not sure if this kid will ever actually do anything but McLovin impersonations the rest of his career.  Don't be surprised if you see him in a string of bad tv comedies (a la Finch from American Pie).  Nicholas Cage hams it up throughout as well.   The real star of this movie is Chloe Moretz.  Even as Mindy, she steals the screen.  This coming on the heels of her performance in 500 Days of Summer - where she was easily the worst part of a good movie.  I wish the movie was more about her, but it wasn't and I was left with only a few choice scenes.

I really like Layer Cake and Stardust (more so than just about anyone I know)... so I'd generally say I'm a fan of Matthew Vaughn.  While I think this was made well, it didn't knock my socks off.  I just don't think anyone cares about a superhero movie that pokes fun at itself at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment