- Are the studios spending on development right now?
- Is there an appetite for this particular story (war, werewolves, vampires, horror, etc...)?
- Are you going to the right executive at the production company?
- If you get a producer onboard are they going to the right executive at the studio?
- Are those executives having a good day or a bad day? Better yet, are their assistants?
- Are you going out too wide?
- Are you going to enough companies to create 'heat' or 'buzz' around the project?
You need to put all your effort into making sure that the material you are taking out is the best it can possibly be, and then hope and trust yourself or your reps in taking it out.