Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's All About the Benjamins

I just realized it has been almost 20 days since my last post.  I've been extremely delinquent.  Sorry about that.  I've been under constant pressure to finish things up.

We're at the very tail end of Spread the Fuzz - the name we've decided on for the first book in the Fuzzies series.  The only thing left to do is the title design, which is underway.  And then laying the title on the cover and the text on the back cover.

I was also cutting a trailer for the novella I'm writing, The Beast.  Why?  Because I saw a few book trailers that were cool and think it is a great way to sell the book.  I wish I was a better (more knowledgeable) editor though.  Actually, I think my actual editing skills in terms of timing are pretty damn good - but I just don't know the finer points of the program; such as panning on a still, more advanced transitions, titling, etc...  I got it down to 3 minutes, but I'm going to cut it down to 2 now.  And I did the voice-over myself.  So it is shit.  I will post when it is ready.

Harbor Moon is ready to rock and we're just dealing with the printer at this point.  Hopefully I have hard-copies in hand by the end of the month.  I cannot wait.  Seriously.  This is, to date, even more important to me than Battle for Terra - because it is mine.  Something I sweat over meticulously for a long time.

I have also been working hard to try and get a sample issue of the graphic novel R.E.M. done.  Everything is going great with the project, both the book and the film - and we wanted a sample of the book to show to actors as we approached them.  Credit to Marco for working hard to make this happen as well.  And Karol - who is invaluable to me in all that I do.  And I will pay him back generously - hopefully soon.  We finally finished it this week - and it looks pretty great.  Hopefully we're done with this book by the Fall for a release in November/Christmas.  It's hard to put a definitive timetable on artwork so we'll see...

I came up with what I believe to be a rather ingenious funding method for the feature film I'm putting together called King of the Night.  It relies on a few major pieces falling into place, but that seems to be the case.  I'm working behind the curtain like the Wizard and Jimmy Devoti is out on the west coast playing Dorothy.  Together, we may just pull this thing off - and in a major way.  Much better, financially and creatively, than the traditional investment method.  Stay tuned...

The company I am working with on The Skin Trade, Mike the Pike Productions, has been great to work with.... and we actually just signed a deal for them to raise funds for a slate of Spoke Lane graphic novels (R.E.M. included, Bulderlyns, Chasing Rabbits).  I know I mentioned this before - but we've signed the paperwork and things are moving.  Exciting times.  I'm pumped about it, and things on The Skin Trade have been progressing really well.  The business proposal should be done within the week and then I may have to spend some time on the PPM - but we will be off to the races.  Just as everything else is coming together.

I have also been going through the graphic novel script for Bulderlyns.  Trying to tighten it up as much as possible - because in this world, every page costs money.  I'm about halfway through.  Either way, the artist, Igor (a college student from Poland who is perfect for the book!) is already working on character designs.  We should start artwork on the book by July.  This is something I am dying to see come to life.

The Kickstarter campaign for Lil is still going on.  We're 1/3 of the way there with about 21 days to go.  So, if you haven't checked it out - please do.  It's a very cool project, with great artwork, smart and fun storytelling, and it has a positive learning component for kids.

And I'm still trying to rise out of the debt that all of these projects have put me in.... So that takes up a lot of my time and is the cause of a few gray hairs on my mohawked head.








No comments:

Post a Comment