Thursday, August 18, 2011

31 Questions for New Filmmakers - Part VI

The Ethics of Creating is what these last two questions pertain to. Once again, these questions were posited by Ted Hope and I've had a lot of fun answering them.

I will start by saying that I don't believe in ethics.  They are just prescribed morals.  I have morals that guide me, but loathe anything to do with 'ethics'.  The word itself irks me.  That said, here you go...

Do filmmakers have any responsibility to culture? 

No.   They have a responsibility to tell good stories.  If those stories are about a specific culture – then they should be giving the most honest glimpse into that culture they can.  But, this is a business and things are changed or sensationalized to pull the most profit.  There is nothing wrong with that – but eventually I think cinemagoers will see right through those filmmakers.

Do you feel that being a creative person requires that you give back or tell a particular story or not do something else? Why or why not?

I don’t feel that I need to give back or tell a particular story for the reasons that this question is implying.  I do feel the need or yearning to tell specific or particular stories because they have embedded themselves into my head and are, for lack of a better phrase, bursting at the seams to get out.  The only one I’m responsible for pleasing in an ethical or moral way is myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment