Monday, November 14, 2011

Movie Review: Paranormal Activity 2

After seeing Paranormal Activity 3 and liking it so much, I decided to go back and watch Paranormal Activity 2.  You know a film kind of got to you when you do this. Since 3 was a prequel, there were a lot of details I wanted to vet. Turns out 2 is a prequel as well - but not 20 years prior like 3.  It is from about 60 days previous to the first one, from the POV of the sister's family (Kristi's family).  

My biggest thought right off the bat after watching this was - 'how did I make it through the first one with that horrible wench (Katie) on screen most of the movie?'  Every time she showed up in this I wanted to claw my eyeballs out.

Overall though, this actually wasn't as bad as I had heard, although it wasn't nearly as good as 3.  Not even in the same league.  3 had legitimate scares.  This, none.  But it held my interest and, maybe because I was fresh off the last installment, was definitely interested to see where it all headed.  None of the inhabitants of the house are bad, which is a good thing in a movie like this... and all of their reactions to what is going on are pretty believable.  When and how they come to accept that something really strange is happening feels natural.  2 opted for security camera POV's, which was okay... but, as I heard someone describe it, felt like a 'Where's Waldo?' horror film.  The camera angles and decision to make Dennis a videographer worked so well in 3.  

I'd like to go back and watch the first film, but the thought of sitting through another frame with Katie in it makes my skin crawl.  So, we'll see...


No comments:

Post a Comment