Monday, October 17, 2011

New York Comic-con - Aftermath

After Thursday's dismal ghost town... the convention picked up on Friday, took off on Saturday and ended with a happy whimper on Sunday.

I try to be as honest as possible, so I will tell you exactly how it went down in terms of sales:

Thursday: nothing
Friday: 2 art prints, 13 books
Saturday: 2 art prints, 2 t-shirts, 32 books
Sunday: 1 art print, 1 t-shirt, 5 books

The booth in artist alley cost $300.  The extra exhibitor badge cost $55.  And other costs added up to about $150.  So I broke even and then just a little more.

But that doesn't account for the costs of the books.  Which, because of the over-sized printing and quality of paper (along with full color)... cost just under $10/each.  So selling them for $10/each at the convention - I definitely lost.  However, 50 books out there means 50 people are reading it.  Those can be future fans, or messengers of the book.  And I made some contacts in the industry.  Would I go back next year?  Yes, definitely.  I will have at least one more book out by then.  Hopefully two - but probably only one.  And I have a much better grasp on what to bring in terms of art prints (and quality of those prints).

Thanks for everyone who stopped by.  It was a lot of fun no matter what the numbers were...

No comments:

Post a Comment