Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Writing a Novel

Some of you may know that I am turning two of my scripts, Harbor Moon and R.E.M., into graphic novels. I plan on turning another 3 scripts that are written into graphic novels as well - but that takes money.  I'm actively attempting to raise that capital, but cannot do anything until I have it.

So I have decided to take another whack at a novel. I actually wrote one two years ago, based on my script for Monsters of the Midway (which is now called Bulderlyns).  I wrote it after the first draft of the script, and have since done a massive rewrite.  However, the thought of sitting down and rewriting the book is not very appealing.  Especially since I consider it a slamdunk as a graphic novel. 

What to write then? 

I had been kicking around the idea of turning my very first script (way back when I thought teen drinking was profound).  It would be a male version of The Late Great Me, a book I read in high school that left an impression. Something loosely based on my own experiences. A coming-of-age if you will. But it seemed trite and I have grown way too much as a human being since then.

Then I realized something I should have a long time ago - The Beast would make a good book. It's a football script, but has more in common with Lord of the Flies than anything. It's dark, almost horrorific... and based on actual events. It would never translate to the comic form... so why not a novel?  And I've already figured out how I will do it.  It'll be a first person narrative, but from the perspective of multiple characters. 

Now I just need to buckle down and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment