Saturday, January 22, 2011

Movie Review: The A-Team

Let me start by saying I had no expectations going into The A-Team.  I heard it was fun, but terrible at the same time.  And what I got was a pleasant surprise.  Not because the film was good, it was pretty bad.  But it was so well cast that I enjoyed this thing from start to finish.

The good news is that Joe Carnahan doesn't stop.  Not once.  Once this thing starts, it goes and goes... and doesn't let you up for air.  Which is a good thing, because it is so full of holes it would sink.  It's painful afterward because I was wishing they had a good script and a director that wasn't so over-the-top because this thing could have been a lot of fun.  Everyone on the team is great.  How they got Liam Neesan I will never figure out.  But he's great as Hannibal.  Sharlto Copley is spot on as the lunatic Murdock.  And Rampage Jackson is more than serviceable as B.A.  The one that really shines is Bradley Cooper as Faceman.  He dives into the role and is just having fun with it - but not too much.  Patrick Wilson is good as 'Lynch' - the sort of unnamed CIA agent, Jon Hamm has a pretty poor cameo at the end (were they thinking this would generate a sequel?)... and Jessica Biel is so absurd as an Army Captain - but also so ridiculously hot.  So it's easy to forgive them for casting her.

I'm trying not to think too hard about it, because the plot was nonsense - how the team comes together is nonsense, the jumps in time throughout the movie are inconsistent and the direction was so over-the-top.... it's best to have fond memories of characters I grew up loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment