Saturday, January 15, 2011

Movie Review: The Disappearance of Alice Creed

Had heard good things about The Disappearance of Alice Creed, and I'm on a Gemma Arterton movie spree... I knew nothing about it besides what I just mentioned.  In fact, I thought it was going to be a horror film.  What I got was a very contained, English thriller about a kidnapping.  The first 20 minutes or so has almost no dialogue - with a very methodical preparation and then execution of the kidnapping.  The actor that plays Vickers (Eddie Marsan) is pretty creepy, which was the intention.  And Gemma gets naked (against her will).  As I'm writing this, I just realized that there are only three actors in the entire film.  The other is played by Martin Compston.  They are all good... and once the film kind of kicks into gear it doesn't really surprise.  It goes down some roads that you would expect for this type of story... There was something that came out of left field (that was in the same vein of odd as Mysteries of Pittsburgh).  Definitely not among the year's best, but a good, small film if you're looking for something a bit darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment