Friday, January 7, 2011

Movie Review: Splice

Although I did not get a chance to see Splice in theaters, I wanted to.  As a fan of Vincenzo Natali's Cube films I thought this sounded interesting... and like Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley.

I'm kind of glad I waited to see this on DVD, because although I thought it was okay - it was just okay.  I would have been disappointed if I had seen it in theaters because my expectations would have been higher. 

It is a fairly small movie in terms of story, something you'd expect from Natali - but as usual, he presents some really interesting scientific and theoretical ideas.  That's sort of where this loses its steam.  Things, from a script and story perspective, start to unravel after they cross the DNA of a human with the animals they've been successful crossing.  It's engaging, but seems to become less and less plausible as it progresses.  And not because a half-human, half-multi-animal creature grows and exists.  But because the actions taken by the two leads seem less and less plausible. 

It ends with a battle scene that seems out of place for this film - almost like he was told he needed more action when there was probably a more intelligent way to end it.  Although it falls off the rails a bit, Splice is a decent filma and Natali does a good job of holding what's left of the train together.

No comments:

Post a Comment