Monday, February 8, 2010

Salvaged Weekend

Snow.  It was supposed to descend upon NY like a plague.  A good friend, DJ Justin Freeman, was starting his residency at Cheetah Lounge in the city.  But the threat of snow scared enough lightweights that only a small scattering showed up (it may have also had something to do with Swedish House Mafia DJ'ing at M2)... Either way, Cheetah has a lot of potential.  I got to see some of my friends I haven't seen in a while and made the most of it.  I'm training to fight, so I'm not drinking - except for a few glasses of wine every now and then.  I broke down and had a few beers (but was extremely impressed that I did not during the Super Bowl).

After Cheetah, I was supposed to hop a bus down to Baltimore to visit a good friend for his birthday and watch the Super Bowl.  The snow we never got hit them hard, over 2 feet, and my trip got canceled.  It looked like the weekend was shaping up to be somewhat of a bust.  I resigned myself to hitting the gym hard and catching up on a lot of reading/work.

However, I wound up going to my girlfriend Lauren's house to have dinner with her family and spend time with her daughter.  I've been on timeout for a few weeks as she gets her life in order after an upheaval for them both.  I had gotten her a Dorothy dress from Wizard of Oz and Lauren let me come give it to her.  The dress was a hit and I had an awesome time.  I have no qualms about buying my way into her heart.  But we get along great anyway.  I get along much better with kids than adults.  I speak their language.  And the kid is awesome.  So having my Baltimore trip canceled was a blessing in disguise.

And then I watched the Super Bowl in Farmingdale at the Nutty Irishman and caught up with my brother who was one of the lightweights from Friday, some friends I haven't seen in a while and a good friend of mine who I went to high school and college with who happened to be bartending at the time.  So, all-in-all, the weekend was salvaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment