Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2010

After my least anticipated list, you had to know this was coming... right?

2010, at least on paper, looks to be a year of really solid films.  There are a slew of comic books adaptations I'm looking forward to (Iron Man 2), as well as some remakes (Clash of the Titans, The Crazies) and books being brought to the big screen. And some that are a bit of both (Alice in Wonderland).  It might even surprise some viewers that there are original movies being made (The Social Network).

1.   Tree of Life
             Terrence Mallick, one of the great auteurs of cinema,
             directing Brad Pitt in a movie about the tree of life -
             a subject I've become somewhat obsessed with since
             doing research for R.E.M.  You'll be hard pressed to
             find a director who's films are more visually arresting,
             and who's performances are better.

2.   Clash of the Titans
             Although I hate the nerd battlecry of 'Release the
             Krakken' it does give me chills.  The trailer is action
             packed and I have believed Worthington was the next
             big thing long before Avatar came out (just having
             Cameron cast you as the lead is more than enough
             for me).

3.   Iron Man 2
            100% fun, with really good action - a formidable bad
            guy (Mickey Rourke) and Scarlet Johannson didn't
            actually bother me in the trailer.

4.   The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
            I don't know much about it, but I'm drawn to it.
            Massive hit overseas.  Dark, creepy, mysterious.


5.   Green Zone
            Greengrass and Damon, together again - in the Middle
            East. Some people might think war films are played
            out... but Hurt Locker proved that a great story told
            well is all the difference.

6.   Robin Hood
             Russell Crowe back in a Ridley Scott action film.  And
             I'm a big Robin Hood fan - I love action that doesn't
             involve guns.  Close quarter combat, or a bow and
             arrow and I'm in.

7.   Inception
             Leonardo Dicaprio in a Christopher Nolan mind-bender?

8.   The Social Network, aka The Facebook Movie
             When I first heard about this it made me cringe. The
             idea seems completely uninteresting. Then I saw that
             Aaron Sorkin wrote the script.  Then I found out that
             Justin Timberlake was playing the weasel from Napster.
             And then David Fincher came onboard to direct.

9.   Salt
            Phillip Noyce might be the most underrated director
            working today.  He delivered the goods in A Quiet 
            American, which he managed to do even with Brendan
            Frasier - so I have high hopes for this...

10. The Expendables
            Either going to be an amazing film, or an amazingly bad
            film - either way, amazing.

Alice in Wonderland
Most people that know me well, know that I am an Alice in Wonderland fanatic and would have thought the film would be #1, or even on this list.  However, I think Tim Burton jumped the shark a long time ago.  I haven't actually liked a film he's done since the original Batman.  Seriously.  Great production design doesn't make for a good movie.  And he bastardized one of my favorite films of all time, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  I will see it, but only because I have to.

Notables:
White Ribbon - going to see it tonight.  Haneke is a master.
Let Me In - remake of a great foreign film.
The Losers - looks like the out-of-left-field better version of the A-Team.
A-Team - cause I grew up watching it and the cast is awesome, so it can only let me down.
Brooklyn's Finest - giving Fuqua one more shot.  The script was great, so if it sucks, to hell with him.
She's Out of My League - besides the token friends who suck, actually looks funny.
The Runaways - my, my... how Dakota has grown up.
The Warlords - Chinese epic with two legends.
Date Night - not because of Carrell, but because Fey is an amazing writer.
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - dying to see how they bring Gecko back.
Prince of Persia
Jonah Hex - comic book movie.  James Brolin is cool again.  And Megan Fox back to looking hot.
Last Airbender - the last shot of the teaser got me.  I don't even want to see the trailer.
Predators - with a cast this odd, something must be up.
Red Dawn - please God, please be good.
The Killer Inside Me - I like Michael Winterbottom, I like dark films, so this could be awesome.
Splice - the film I most want to see out of Sundance.
Rum Diary - Depp in another Hunter S. Thompson book, but this one makes sense
A Prophet - French film I've heard nothing but good things about.

Movie I'll go see, but will hate myself afterwards:
Kick-Ass

Movie I won't see in theaters but will watch repeatedly on TV:
Get Him to the Greek

No comments:

Post a Comment